Saturday, June 14, 2014
PAGE 25 - The last 6 Sigma Phi Convention Tickets, 1881-1887
My great-grandfather, James Grover "Grove" TERWILLIGER, filled his Souvenir Album with a miscellany of ribbons, invitations, stamps, cards, tickets, cut-outs from hotel letterheads, newspaper articles, and other items from his travels and affiliations. Page 25 is the third page in a row of Sigma Phi tickets to Conventions in the 1870s and 1880s, including an envelope with invitation insert.
From the left, horizontally across the top, then from left across the bottom:
1. Sigma Phi Convention / Schenectady, N.Y. / Friday, March Fourth, 1881. / E.P.V. / R.S.V.P. / Meeting 5.30 P.M.
2. E.P.V. / The Sixtieth Annual Convention / of the Sigma Phi will be held / with the Beta of New York, / Wednesday June twenty ninth, / 1887 / Convention, 3 o'clock P.M. / Conclave, 9 o'clock P.M. / An early answer is requested.
3. E.P.V. / Sigma Phi Convention / Hotel Brunswick, / Tuesday, January Fourth, 1887 / Meeting at 3.30 P.M. / 225 Fifth Avenue New York City
4. E.P.V. / Sigma Phi Convention, / Schenectady, N.Y. / Tuesday, March Fourth, 1884. / Meeting at 5.30 P.M. / R.S.V.P.
5. E.P.V. / Sigma Phi Convention, / Schenectady, N.Y. / Wednesday, March Fourth, 1885. / Meeting at 5.30 P.M. / R.S.V.P.
6. (Insert) Dear Brother, / The conclave will assemble at 9.30 P.M. / Sigma Phi House. / Please reply. E.P.V.
(Enveloped invitation) Your presence is requested at the / Semi Centennial Exercises / of the / Alpha of Massachusetts Chapter / of / Sigma Phi, / Wednesday afternoon, July 2nd, 1884 / at half-past four o'clock. / College Chapel, / Williamstown, Mass. / 1834. 1884.
If you have any information about these events, or about Sigma Phi and the E.P.V., do let me know via calewis at telus dot net, or in the Comments below. On my research list is a note for me to write to Sigma Phi about my great-grandfather's involvement in Sigma Phi.
Update: Thanks to Albert Riezebos, a very helpful Canadian genealogist, I now have proof of my great-grandfather's membership in Sigma Phi, in the Alpha of Massachusetts. Grove (James Grover TERWILLIGER) had been a student at Williams College in MA in 1873, and joined Sigma Phi in 1877. See listing below in "Catalogue of the SIGMA PHI with the THESAURUS", printed 1891, showing his current residence at the time (found online, Google Books) :
The next page, Page 26, is of paper money of all denominations, glued down hard of course, so I am unable to see the reverse of each paper. This will be a very interesting page to inventory! Thank you for stopping by.